Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hilton Head Island - Day 1

Our Hilton Head Island vacation was all sorts of perfect.  We spent 6 days and 5 nights in paradise just relaxing, biking on the beach, eating delicious food, drinking refreshing drinks, and soaking up the sunshine and each others company.

We instilled a rule while on this vacation: no iPhones.  When we are home, our iPhones go everywhere with us.  Sometimes, it's kind of sad how much we depend on them and get engulfed in all the apps and things to check every 5 seconds.  So to fully take advantage of relaxing and taking in our surroundings while in Hilton Head, we decided 'no iPhones!'  We left them in our villa, tucked away in a drawer, only to be taken out if we needed to look up directions or information for a restaurant.  Neither of us broke the rule at all and I have to say, it was soooooo nice.  It felt weirdly freeing.  We better enjoyed each other, our surroundings, and all the little moments we may have missed if we were staring down at our phones.  This little experiment has definitely opened our eyes and I think has changed the way we use our phones even now that we're home.  While, yes, we still have our iPhones with us all the time, I find that neither of us are checking them as constantly as we were before our trip.

So anyway, Hilton Head!  I can't believe it's already been 3 weeks since we were there.  I miss it!  I took so so so many pictures... and there are so many I want to share, so I think I'll break this post into several posts, so I don't overwhelm you with pictures!  Sorry if you get sick of seeing vacation pictures for the next couple posts... feel free to skip over them if you want!  I just wanted to document them mainly for myself to look back on and smile. :)

Day 1:

Pretty airport sunset
Day 1 was fairly uneventful.  We both worked full days, then headed to the airport.  Our flight ended up being delayed over 2 hours... so we had a lot of down time in the airport.  On the plus side, AirTran gave us each a free round trip flight to anywhere because of the inconvenience... um, SCORE!  I didn't take many pictures, but this sunset was pretty nice.  We landed at the Atlanta airport around midnight, rented a car, and drove to our hotel in Macon, GA to get some sleep before heading to Hilton Head the next morning!



3 comments:

  1. thats a gorgeous sunset! and yay for free flights! thats awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the no iPhone rule, lets you enjoy one another more. So sweet :)

    Score on the free airfare, I wish I could get that lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the no phone rule- what a fantastic idea! I would love to evoke that rule on my husband, ha! Cant wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments & you! <3