Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Opening the Box...

This weekend was a great one.  Brett and I had such a wonderful time celebrating our one year anniversary.  We ended up not going out of town and thought it would be fun to just stay home and relax, instead of dealing with the hustle and bustle of traveling somewhere else (we'll save that for September!!).  We slept in, relaxed, went to some fun restaurants, watched fireworks, got a bike (!!), went bike riding, and just overall enjoyed each other's company.


As part of our wedding ceremony, we came up with the idea of a "wedding box".  I wanted to do something other than a unity candle or the unity sand.  Before the wedding, we got a nice wooden box with a lock and key.  We put a bottle of wine and two wine glasses inside.  Then, we each wrote a letter to each other before the wedding and asked our four parents to also write letters to us.  We could not look at them or open them.  Then, during our ceremony, the "wedding box" was front and center and at one point, we had our parents join us and we each placed our letters in the box with the wine and glasses.  Then, Brett and I locked the box up not to be opened until our one year anniversary.  The idea was that we would open the box on our one year anniversary, drink the wine, and read the letters, remembering why we fell in love and got married in the first place.  Then, each year thereafter, we would write new letters and add a new bottle of wine to the box to be locked up and not opened again until our next anniversary.  And so on and so forth.

So obviously, on Sunday we opened the box!!  Reading those letters and drinking the wine, sitting at our dining room table together last night made me so.happy.  The letters were unbelievably sweet, touching, and mean so much to us.  I am so so so happy we decided to do this.  We each wrote new letters on Sunday, sealed them up in the box with a new bottle of wine not to be opened until August 7, 2012.  We've decided to leave all the letters in the box from the previous years, so when they really start adding up we can look back and read them all.  I can't wait to see what the future holds and I love that we have a way to remember all the amazing things that have happened to us along the way.


It truly was the perfect one year anniversary.
I love this guy times a million.

21 comments:

  1. that is literally the cutest idea ever!! oh my gosh. i want to do that when i get married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is soo sweet (plus creative bonus!) I love you're blog. and my name is ana (ok minus the extra n) .

    x

    www.thebookisaworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really love this idea! How sweet!
    It looks like you guys had a fabulous anniversary! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is the cutest idea i have ever heard. i may have to borrow when i get married. congrats on the anniversary, you two are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHat a sweet tradition! You guys are adorable. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. you guys are soo sweet! thats such an amazing idea!! i think we need to be blog bff's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is SUCH a great idea. I love the creativity and meaning behind it. I'm so glad you guys had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post! I just awarded you a little something on my blog!
    http://mynewestaddiction.blogspot.com/2011/08/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, that is such an amazing idea! never heard anything like that but it's genius! so sweet! happy anniversary, anniversary twin :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary! The photos are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like such a fun first anniversary! Congrats to you! I'm about it hit my second in October and I think we are going away this year. :-)
    Just found your blog and we are now following. We would love for you to visit our blog and follow back if you like. Also we are having a DG Skincare giveaway and would love for you to enter.
    Jayme (& Mendi) @ Her Late Night Cravings
    http://herlatenightcravings.blogspot.com/2011/08/dg-skincare-review-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that idea! So sweet and sentimental. Congrats on the anniversary; I'm sure when you're celebrating in 50 years you'll cherish those letters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the sweetest idea ever! I just got married but may have to adapt this for us! LOVE it!! Great blog!

    www.territerriterri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your letter idea! I might have to copy that idea! It's never too late to start, right? :)

    Notes She Wrote

    ReplyDelete
  17. Omg such a cute idea! Mind if I steal it? I might not incorporate it into the ceremony (already getting too long ah!) but I love the sentiment and tradition:) http://jacquelineparis.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read about the idea of the box a few years ago, before evening getting engaged and Vito loved it when I told him about it. We'll be incorporating it into our ceremony and yearly tradition. This post made me more excited about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. soooo cute. best tradition everrrrr.. i'd looove to do something like that when i get married.. happy anniversaryyyyy :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. happy 1 year!! i love your precious photos. and that box is a genius idea! so sweet, you two :)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is the cutest thing/best idea ever! A little late, but happy 1 year anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments & you! <3