Friday, May 27, 2011

Living on Island Time...


Our island vacation was one of the most relaxing weeks we've had in a long time.  For 6 days, we had no schedule, no commitments, and no concept of time.  We relaxed and did whatever we felt like doing whenever we wanted to.  We didn't have to answer to anyone and weren't expected to be anywhere.  It was a picture perfect vacation (more on this later).  

It's pretty difficult to come home after a week of bliss and immediately be thrown back into the fast-paced, go, go, go lifestyle we have.  We got home at 1:00am Wednesday night, went to work bright and early Thursday, came home immediately to unpack from vacation and repack for an out-of-town wedding we have to go to this weekend.  Since getting home from vacation, the only thing I've had time to do is unpack, repack, and vacuum my house.  That's it.  I haven't even had time to load all my vacation photos onto my MacBook so I can do a proper blog post!  (The above photo was taken on my iPhone).  And now I'm at work, which right after, we have to drive to Erie to make it to the wedding rehearsal on time (Brett is a reader in the wedding).

It's a pretty harsh slap in the face getting home from a vacation of having no obligations.  Our Summer is packed full of things we have to do and places we are excepted to be.  While most all of them are fun things like weddings and parties, sometimes I can't help but wish for that care-free island lifestyle.  While on our vacation, we easily fell into the mindset of the laid-back islanders.  I can only hope that, in the mist of all the Summer craziness, we can still keep that easy-going island mindset and make sure we slooooooow down and appreciate the simple things in life as often as possible.

{Photo by me - Taken at Coco's on the Beach on Hilton Head Island}

7 comments:

  1. Coming back to reality is always a bummer. But it sounds like the vacation was a good one! I love traveling when there is no commitment... it feels like these days I usually only go somewhere for a graduation, or a wedding, or some other event. Hope your weekend away isn't too crazy!

    Also, I gave you a blog award. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corona & lime - perfect, refreshing summer drink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, coming back from a holiday is always hard. But at least you have summer to look forward to! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome back! i'm glad you had a great vacation! ah yeah it is hard to come back and get into the routine again.. but you always seem to be having a wonderful time, so i'm sure you'll handle it alright :)

    p.s. i want that beer. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Returning from a get-a-way sucks. End comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks awesome!!! I wish I could be sitting on a beach right now-- instead Im taking finals... yuck! I am your newest follower! Stop by and enter my first giveaway!

    hannahmichellesullivan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh I hate coming home after a vacation. It's almost depressing. At least you have some fun things to look forward to in the near future! Also I wanttttt to be in that picture!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments & you! <3