Friday, July 19, 2013

That Time I Almost Stepped on a Rattlesnake...

Last Sunday (on Brett's actual birthday), we wanted to do something fun and get out of town for a while.  Since Brett is still mending his dislocated shoulder, we couldn't do anything too intense like biking or rock climbing.  So instead, we did the next best thing: more hiking!  We decided to head over to the Big Bear Lake area since we heard a lot of good things about it.  And I'm really glad we did!  We hit the road in the morning and spent the day hiking the Sugarloaf Mountain trail...


After 5 miles of really rocky terrain that went straight up, we finally made it to the top!  Sugarloaf Mountain -- elevation 9,952 feet!  Contrary to my hopes and dreams, there was no sugar at the top...


After signing the trail log (so fun reading through everyone's notes!) and taking a moment to enjoy the views, it was back down down down we went...


And on the way down, I had my first rattlesnake experience... OMG.  I'm sure this would have been a hilarious sight for a bystander, but thankfully no one else was around to witness my ridiculousness.  Brett was hiking in front of me and I was following behind.  I guess he didn't see the snake until after he passed it and when he realized what it was (and as I was walking RIGHT by it), he started screaming "omg omg omg babe babe!" and started grabbing me.  I, not having the slightest clue as to what was going on (I didn't notice the snake), started freaking out and running/jumping/climbing up Brett.  Was I about to be attacked by a bear?!  A mountain lion?!  T-Rex?!  WHAT!  By the time we were out of harm's way and I climbed back down to the ground from Brett's back... he showed me the snake.  I almost STEPPED on that thing!!  It was giving me the evil eye and I made sure to keep my distance.  Luckily, it must have been a lazy rattlesnake because it didn't really move much.  It just watched us with its devil eyes.  You better believe I was scanning the ground constantly for the remainder of the trip down the mountain.  And then I consumed lots of beer at dinner afterwards to forget that awful creature. 

And thus concludes another installment of Brett and Anna's ridiculous adventures.

1 comment:

I love comments & you! <3