Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hiking the Sharp Top Trail

I think being outdoors is one of my most favorite things in the world.  Not much can match the amazing feeling of being completely surrounded by nature.  Brett and I take part in quite a few outdoor activities in our daily lives, but I think one of my favorites is hiking.  It gives you the chance to take in so many amazing sights all at a somewhat leisurely pace (which allows for lots of photo snapping).

Our road trip down to Southern Virginia was filled with so many fun activities, but I think my favorite day of all was when we started the day with some awesome hiking and finished out the afternoon kayaking (more on that later!). 

We planned our hike based around the Sharp Top Trail that is accessible right off the Blue Ridge Parkway (which is a seriously beautiful and scenic route).  We headed out mid-morning and drove North about an hour away from our cabin.  The weather was seriously perfect hiking weather.  We arrived at the parking lot around noon and took off! 

Now, please prepare for photo overload.  It was just too beautiful of a hike and such amazing views from the top.  I couldn't stop snapping... :) 

*******

Oh ya know... just hiking to the top of this point:

It was chilly at the start of the hike.  Long sleeves required...

Getting hotter...

Okay, hottest!  Time to roll up the pants!

The hike up was really beautiful.  Lush greenery, blue skies, and bright sunshine.

Almost there...

Made it!  The views were seriously insane.  Definitely worth the pretty much vertical hike up.

Then, we took another trail at the top and made our way over to some other boulders.
Not as high as Sharp Top, but still really awesome views.

After we hiked back down the mountain, we were starving!
We drove down the road just a bit and found the perfect little picnic area.
We came prepared with sandwiches, chips and salsa, and some beer!
(Oh, and also our Finding Nemo make-shift table cloth...)
Can't lunch look like this everyday??

Ahh, looking back on this day makes my heart happy.

2 comments:

  1. So Beautiful!! I would love to climb this! Those clouds are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments & you! <3