Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Maine Part 3 - Five Islands! {New England Vacation}

Continuing on with our New England vacation recaps (that I accidentally neglected, oops)...

After a wonderful day spent on Peaks Island, we headed north for a day of exploring Five Islands, Maine!  This area was full of awesome lighthouses, foggy bays, and tons of fresh lobster.  The weather was less than stellar (compared to our previous day of glorious sunshine), but we made the best of it and explored around anyway!

Merrymeeting Bay...
(We were hoping to spot some bald eagles that supposedly frequent the area, but no luck!)


Doubling Point Lighthouse...
(very cool!)


A hike to Squirrel Point Light...
(I have never been bit by so many mosquitoes in my life!!)


Lunch at Five Islands Lobster Co!
(I just couldn't stomach eating a whole lobster like Brett did...
its eyes were just staring at me!!)


A nice afternoon nap on the grass in a downtown park of Bath, ME...


And then we went kayaking!  But unfortunately, I left my "old camera I use in water activities because I'm clumsy" back at the hotel in Portland, so I didn't get any pictures.  Booo.  But we had a great time.  We kayaked in an inlet to the ocean, so we saw tons of jellyfish just swimming around us the whole time.  It was so weird!  I'm only used to seeing jellyfish in the ocean crashing with the waves.  Then, after kayaking, we began to head back to Portland for dinner and fun.  It started torrential down pouring while we drove, so we figure the only logical thing to do was to stop at a brewery (Sea Dog Brewing Company) until the rain let up and we could drive back to our hotel. ;)  Cheers!*

And this concludes my recap posts of our time in and around Portland, Maine!
Up next: Lake Winnipesaukee, NH!

4 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at "it's eyes were just staring at me!!!" That is how I feel about 90% of the time when I eat meat/seafood. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what amazing scenery!! and i think i just realized for the first time that i've never seen a lighthouse in person? could that be so? guess i'll add it to my to-do list!! i think i love lighthouses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to see a lighthouse in person, for sure!! They are just so great :)

      Delete

I love comments & you! <3